Home » , , » Hello September

Hello September


Warm and inviting interiors, from The Blue House in Santa Monica

I don't know about you, but even though I am enjoying the last days of summer, I am secretly excited to say hello to fall.  I welcome shorter days and cooler weather.  I want to go into nesting mode and cook and bake, and anticipate the holidays.  I look forward to gallery openings, theatre performances, good movies, perusing antique shops, readings at book stores, fall produce and the brisker pace of autumn.  September is a month of beginnings and excitement builds for all kinds of autumnal pleasures.



I get a little jolt of happiness when I spot the first autumn scenes at our local florist shops.  This is one of my favorites, The Language of Flowers in Santa Monica. 



A favorite fall activity when traveling or at home is browsing rare book stores to discover treasures like this, a beautiful botanical book from B & L Rootenberg Rare Books in Los Angeles.



 Of course nothing relaxes me more or makes my house a happier place to be than baking, and these pumpkin cupcakes with maple frosting are one of my favorites.



I love pulling out the rich colors of fall and setting the kitchen table with my golden yellow runner and an arrangement of sunflowers.



Farmers' markets in September begin to carry delicious apples and so many other vegetables and fruits for cooking and baking seasonally.



 Antique stores beckon at this time of the year with tole trays like this one, a real treasure I bought recently to add to my  collection.



I am going to England soon and a visit to Duncan Grant's studio at Charleston Farm House in Sussex will inspire me with all its bohemian and creative beauty.  This is a recreation that was done in Los Angeles in the spring.


 Room designed with William Morris patterns

And speaking of beautiful English things, I just read in "Traditional Home" magazine that William
Morris & Co. is celebrating its 150- year anniversary.  William Morris (1834-1896) was the single most influential designer of the nineteenth-century.  His designs are still beautiful today.  Tried and true Morris patterns have had a refreshing makeover and each design is based on archival patterns that still feel magical 150 years later.  I have always loved the very English feel of these wallpapers and textiles.



Probably my all time favorite thing to do in cooler weather is to immerse myself in a good book.  I have just started "The Rules of Civility" by Amor Towles and and I am loving it.  By the way, how gorgeous and evocative is the elegant cover!

********

I think that for me fall is about two different things.  First there are the homey pleasures --  reading, cooking, entertaining, all the comforts of home.  But there is also the frisson of excitement related to the arts season that kicks off soon and the excitement of getting dressed up and going to events.  Taylor de Cordoba gallery is having its first opening of the season next Saturday --  a solo show of the Los Angeles based artist Kimberly Brooks -- and I will be there!  I just might have to wear my leopard print jacket.  And though we can still enjoy the waning days of summer with its golden light and warm days, I am very happy to say hello to September.

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Benefit from fantastic savings on essaywritingservices , just by taking a look at https://sites.google.com
Powered by Blogger.